See here the list of Top 10 best beach umbrellas. Read the buying guide and other important factors before making a selection for you or any of your dear ones.
- Aluminum pole with fiberglass ribs
- Vent located on the top increases its wind tolerance and stability in windy conditions
- Tilting Mechanism allows for easy adjusting to the moving sun
- 100% UV Protection: Umbrella cloth is made of 160G Polyester with PA coating which can give you up to UPF 100+ protection, and...
- Flower Design Air Vent: Vent on the top is designed to promotes air flow, allow for the umbrella to combat high winds, it will be...
- Tilted Device Design: The tilting mechanism allows you to easily and quickly adjust the canopy, and away from the sunlight without...
- In 2009 the beachBUB Base was invented in Naples, Florida. Thousands of hours of designing, engineering and testing have brought...
- Approved for all beachgoers who struggle with their Beach Umbrella. Recently endorsed by the American Life Guard Association " The...
- Wind tested to 35MPH. Sits on top of the beach like a Patio Umbrella stand that sits on a deck. No deep holes to dig or twist...
- ☂ 100% UV PROTECTION: Looking for a premium beach umbrella for your beach travel? MOVTOTOP large beach umbrella provides a...
- ☂ PREMIUM QUALITY: MOVTOTOP outdoor sun umbrella provides you peace of mind due to exceptional stability in High Wind and Rain....
- ☂ INCREASED STABILITY: Height adjustment from the top level all the way to the ground allows you can lower the umbrella closer...
- ✔ (unique) SUPER WINDPROOF 3-LAYER RIBS DESIGN. Sunphio is the FIRST brand on Amazon adopting this new design (see picture 3)...
- ✔ (unique) 4-LAYER CANOPY DESIGN FOR EXCELLENT UV PROTECTION, UPF 50+. Again, ONLY Sunphio adopts this INNOVATIVE design (see...
- ✔ (new) STURDY TELESCOPING METAL POLE WITH 360° TILT MECHANISM. We provide a premium screw-knob support pole for umbrella that...
- Opens easily to 9 feet wide
- Travel dimensions: 4 x 4 x 59 inches , weight: 11 lbs
- Reflective undercoating for maximum comfort & UPF 50+ protection
- Integrated sand anchor and telescoping steel pole secures your umbrella with a simple twist
- Oxford fabric with UPF 50+ sun protection from 99% of intensive ultraviolet rays
- Durable 8 fiberglass ribs with extra strength for wind resistance; Air-vented 7ft dia. canopy designed to facilitate air flow for...
- Up 50+ protection: Recommended by the skin Cancer Foundation for UVA/UVB protection from the sun's rays
- Durable materials: steel pole and ribs of Umbrella are made from durable and strong powder coated steel to help extend the life of...
- Customized shade: tilt feature to adjust sun and shade according to your preference. Also features a telescopic pole so you can...
- Canopy made of 190 D Polyester with side flaps for full shelter protection
- UPF 50+ sun and weather protection and water repellent, protects from UVA and UVB rays
- Canopy supported by 4 mm steel ribs and a 4mm steel stretcher
- UPF 50+ PROTECTION. The Sport Brella will keep your skin safe and protected from UVA and UVB rays; With side panels for extra...
- RUGGED AND DURABLE COVER: 8 foot canopy is made of 210 D Polyester for the fundamental all weather protection; It is supported be...
- LARGE CANOPY W/ WINDOWS: This easy set up shelter protects you and your team, anytime, anywhere; The side zippered windows are for...
1. How does a sunshade work?
A sunshade consists of three parts: umbrella, foot and connecting rod. The principle is simple and corresponds to that of an umbrella. From below, stability is built up by either weighing the foot or framing it in the ground. The base is connected to the screen by a mast. This consists of a stretched over spokes fabric. The precise alignment of the shade serves to create shade on sunny days to protect against the sun.
2. Which parasol types are there?
Basically, there are 5 different types of parasol, which are suitable for different terrace, garden and balcony conditions. The size of the umbrellas is almost always selectable as well as the shape (square or round). In our Parasol Comparison, we present the respective models with their advantages and disadvantages and for whom and which garden they are suitable.
2.1 Market umbrellas
Market umbrellas, also called mast umbrellas, are the classic representatives of the parasol species in the garden. In the parasol comparison, they offer due to their centred construction even with low weight and simple materials a decent stability and reliability. The downside of the screen is that the stand and stick take up space in the middle. A practical solution is garden furniture tables with a hole in the middle for the screen – so you create additional stability. The shade is either round or square.
2.2 Cantilever parasols
In contrast to market umbrellas, the frame, foot and bracket of a sunshade are not mounted in the middle of the screen, but at the edge. This has the advantage that the shielded space in the garden or on the terrace can be used optimally. The sunshade is, therefore, suitable for anyone who wants to place their tables, chairs and loungers without obstruction and at will. The mountings for a lampshade are available in different versions. To make a sunshade stable, good models have a “mounting triangle”. This is formed by the stand and two additional rods that lead from it to the screen, which can also be round or square (see picture on the left). For a stable model must be expected with an output from 200 euros. Due to the different construction, umbrella umbrellas are a very special category in addition to mast screens.
2.3 Balcony screens/screens
In the shadow of urban life. For balconies, we recommend half screens or balcony screens. As the mast of the screen is at the back, it does not take away any valuable area. In the case of elongated balconies, an awning is also recommended – it completely dispenses with the base, although awnings are also considerably more expensive. The umbrella shape is usually not square, but round. For the garden, the screen is not suitable because it is too unstable without a wall.
2.4 Beach umbrella
Beach umbrellas differ in many ways from the classic mast screen or a sunshade. They are much more unstable, but this is mainly due to their low weight. This has the advantage that the umbrella can be easily carried to the beach. An explicit UV safety is not given, only the filtering by nylon. It is enough for occasional shade on the beach and in your own garden. He is not an alternative to a stable and durable mast screen.
Straw umbrellas are especially popular for their holiday flair. The material does not provide adequate rain or wind protection and is therefore only suitable for low-wind sunbathing spots for decoration.
3. Purchase criteria for parasols: You must pay attention to this
After we have presented the different types in our parasol comparison, we would like to offer you a purchase advice here. The most important criteria to consider in this category of garden furniture are the span, the frame, the controls and the material.
The span of a sunshade provides information about the dimensions, i. E. Length and width or with a round screen over the diameter. Most umbrellas either have a diameter of 3 m or a rectangular dimension of 3 x 3 m, which already covers many garden furniture and open spaces. Measure your balcony, the terrace or area in the garden to decide on the right size. For balconies we recommend umbrellas with a diameter of about 1.5 meters or half screens with a radius of 1.5 meters – for terraces and gardens, not more than 10 meters. Large umbrellas start from 4 m side length and can reach up to 10 m. You can protect surfaces up to more than 50 m² from sun and rain. For private use, they are rarely used. In gastronomy, you will find the large umbrellas in different shapes, mostly square.
3.2. Sturdy and flexible frame
Parasol owners most often argue with the instability of their umbrella or other garden furniture. The best parasols constructions are characterized by high stability. For each 10 cm diameter of the canopy, a minimum weight of 1 kg for the stand should be estimated. The foot construction should best consist of metal, stainless steel or granite or be stabilized by stone slabs. Good and stable stands are already available from 20 euros. You can distinguish between concrete stands, metal stands, plate stands or filling stands. Plastic uprights filled with sand or water provide optimum safety only on windless days. For half umbrellas (balcony screens) there are also the matching semicircular umbrella stands.
Note: If you buy a parasol, the stand is almost always exclusive. This must be purchased additionally. Pay attention to the diameter of the mast to choose the right size.
3.3. Easy to use: clamping the screen
In the Parasol Comparison 2019, especially the models perform well, which offer several adjustment options to adjust the position of the screen to the sun’s position by inclination and rotation. However, this ease of use also costs, which is why it appears only from the mid-price category to 200 euros. The average market shield for 60 euros leaves the position unchanged. Anyone who wants to resort to a cheap model should, therefore, consider before buying in which direction the balcony or terrace. Parasols Comparative winners convince in most tests, especially with a light, simplified by cable operation.
3.4. Used material
Build-up principle as with umbrellas: stable spokes. The mast of a parasol is usually made of aluminium, wood or stainless steel. The stronger the material, the more stable the glider is in strong winds. The fabric of the upper cover is almost always made of 100% polyester. It is water repellent and at the same time filters sun rays up to 98%. Waterproof material is not necessary for conventional use, it is mostly used for mast umbrellas in catering. The best parasols use an acrylic layer on the screen.
3.5. Accessories and accessories
If not already included, it is advisable to buy a parasol cover. Due to less environmental influences, the stand and the screen remain sturdy. A simple way to extend the life of the parasol.
3.6. Which brands are there?
The manufacturers Doppler, Schneider, Zangenberg, Glatz and Siena Garden have established themselves on the European market for mast umbrellas. Doppler and Siena Garden sell garden furniture, which includes umbrellas of the lower and middle price range up to 250 euros. Zangenberg and Glatz specialize in high-quality umbrellas, while Schneider has umbrellas of different price categories on the market. Some models, such as May, can be opened remotely.
4. Tips for the long life of your parasol
To avoid damage to the sunshade, the sunshade should be closed when the wind comes on. Although most umbrellas withstand winds up to 50 km / h, gusts of wind from different directions can unbalance the glider and wear out the attachments. Only fold the screen when it is completely dry, otherwise, there is a risk of sticking (mould). Like sun creams, textiles with a sun protection factor are also measured. This gives information about the UV protective effect of parasols. A good mast shield should have a UPF (Ultra Protection Factor) of 50 to 80. With regular cleaning, the material remains undamaged for a long time and can fully develop its effect.
5. Advantages of parasols over awnings
Good branded umbrellas are available from 50 euros, awnings only from 100.
Parasols are more flexible.
The installation of awnings is very expensive.
Mast and base of the umbrella take up space – which is in short supply on the balcony.
Outside in the summer
Awning in comparison
6. What does Stiftung Warentest say?
Stiftung Warentest (05/2010) has determined in the parasol test that a parasol can be purchased cheaply without losing stability. Reliable and modern umbrellas are available from 50 euros. Models from this price range can withstand on average 50 km / h wind speed without the spokes of the glider buckling. The Stiftung Warentest parasols comparison winner in the category middle pole of Doppler has won mainly because of the very good rating for its handling. In our parasol comparison, the Kettler push-up scores as the best parasol in terms of usability. In the parasol test, Stiftung Warentest has subjected models from different price categories to a wind test. Although the thickness and material of the mast say something about the stability, but not about the processing. In a so-called wind tunnel parasol test, the screen is processed from different directions with air. The parasol comparison winner holds a maximum wind speed of 60 km / h.
7. Frequently asked questions about umbrellas
7.1. Which parasol is the best?
Answering this question universally is not possible because the needs vary. In our parasol comparison, we show the appropriate umbrellas for different needs. After all, you do not need to invest money in above-average wind resistance if your terrace is windless anyway. The same goes for balconies, where we recommend space-saving half screens.
7.2. Which parasol colour offers more UV security?
The persistent rumour that with the brightness of a screen colour at the same time the UV radiation protection decreases is not quite correct. More important than the colour is the thickness of the fabric and an award for textile UV protection. If you stay in the shade regularly, we recommend a minimum value of 50. Therefore, you can choose the colour of your parasol as you wish. According to Öko Test (06/2008), the colour has no significant influence on UV transmission.