See here the list of Top 10 best convertible car seat. Read the buying guide and other important factors before making a selection for you or any of your dear ones.
- All in One seat grows with your child from 5 100 pound, rear to forward facing and becomes a belt positioning booster; save space...
- Simply Safe Adjust Harness System adjusts the height of your harness and headrest; integrated harness storage compartment holds...
- Engineered & crash tested to meet or exceed US standard FMVSS 213; the SlimFit car seat has been side impact tested for occupant...
- 4 in 1 Graco car seat gives you 10 years of use from four to 120 pounds
- Rear facing baby car seat from 4 to 40 pounds
- Forward facing toddler car seat from 22 to 65 pounds
- 4-in-1 car seat gives you 10 years of use: seamlessly transforms from rear-facing harness car seat (4-40 lb), to forward-facing...
- Graco ProtectPlus Engineered helps to protect your little one in frontal, side, rear and rollover crashes.
- Simply Safe Adjust Harness System adjusts the height of your harness and headrest to 10 positions in one motion to ensure that...
- Built to grow with your child, this Safety 1st car seat supports infants from five pounds to toddlers of 40 pounds as a rear...
- An adjustable three position recline makes it easy to get a good fit for the seat in your car , Assembled Product Dimensions 24.00...
- Harness holders keep the harness open, making it easier to get into and out of the seat. Front seat passengers can enjoy up to...
- For rear-facing infants from 4-50 Pound. and forward-facing toddlers from 22-65 Pound
- 4-position extension panel adjusts to provide 5" additional leg room allowing your child to ride safely rear-facing longer
- Up to 50 Pound rear-facing allowing your child to ride safely rear-facing longer
- Zip-off padding is soft and machine washable for comfort and convenience
- Remarkably easy installation with a 9-position Recline Sure leveling system, Super Cinch LATCH Tightened and Lock Sure seat belt...
- Superior Duo Guard protection with a deep rigid shell and EPS energy-absorbing foam, plus a steel-reinforced frame
- Easy installation: Patented ClickTight makes car seat installation as simple as buckling a seat belt
- No rethreading, ever: 14 position harness, 2 position buckle for a comfortable fit as your child grows
- Relax and Recline: 7 recline positions ensure comfort and the best vehicle installation angle
- Designed to help protect your rear-facing child from 5-40 lb and your forward-facing child from 22-65 lb
- Simply Safe Adjust Harness System adjusts the harness and headrest height together with one easy motion-no rethreading required
- Graco ProtectPlus Engineered: a combination of the most rigorous crash tests that helps to protect your child in frontal, side,...
- Easy installation: Patented ClickTight makes car seat installation as simple as buckling a seat belt
- No rethreading, ever: Quick adjust 14 position harness with Click and Safe Snug Indicator gives a click sound when the harness is...
- Adjust accurately: Harness indicator gives an audible click when you've pulled to the proper tightness
- Made In Italy. Reversible-can be used rear facing for children 5 to 45 pound and forward facing for children 22 to 65 pound. Only...
- Side impact protection protects child's head, neck and spine, easily adjusts to 10 different positions, even with child in the...
- Energy-absorbing foam, EPS throughout the seat protects child's head and torso from impact forces, a shock absorbing foam element...
In Germany, almost every second child in the car is not properly secured. Most parents do not know about these dangers. An impact at just 15 km / h has devastating consequences for the small passengers. The ideal child seat fits the age, size and weight of a child. He brings along the necessary padding on the sides, on the head, on the hips and on the back, without restricting the ride comfort and the comfort. Last but not least, securing with a smooth 5-point harness ensures comprehensive protection for toddlers and babies.
In the compact child seat comparison on STERN.de, we present you the leading car seats and their advantages. You will learn more about the installation, the safety features and the child seat group. What are ISOFIX car seats? What do we mean by i-size and what should you look for when buying? We deliver the answers. Find out how to find the right child seat, what size fits your child and how to attach the seat to the vehicle in our guide.
Since when are there child seats?
“Click first – then start”. In Germany, since 1976, the seat belt for the front passenger car seats. Eight years later, the seatbelt obligation for passengers in the back seat follows. The first child seat came out in 1963. The company Storchenmühle launched its “Nicki” on the market to make driving safer for children. In 1989, the first border was added and since 2001 there is the practical Isofix fastening system.
The most important thing about the child seat and the Highway Code
Each child should be protected up to a height of 1.50 meters and up to the age of 12 by a child seat in the vehicle. The adult belt on the car seat would not provide adequate protection. The optimal child seats bring a side impact protection and a special backrest. Whether with parents, relatives or friends: Each child must be secured on short distances by an approved child seat. Anyone transporting their child without a child seat not only takes unnecessary risks. He faces a fine of 50 euros and a point in Flensburg. You do not have to let it get that far and you can decide on a suitable child seat in no time at all.
When child seat instead of baby seat?
If you want to transport newborn babies in the car, you need specialized child seats. The baby bowls, which often reach up to 9 kilograms from the first month of life, usually make the start. A change is recommended as soon as you want an upright seating position. In the first child seat group, you start with 9 kilograms – from about 9-10 months. You should definitely opt for a child car seat that grows up with you. This ensures a long life over the years. Since an initially high price paid in the long run.
Which child seats and car seats are best?
When purchasing, first pay attention to the permissible certificates, such as the ECE test number. This begins with ECE R 44/03 or 04. You will find this test number on the ECE badge directly on the child seat. In this way, you can be sure at first glance that it is a model that meets common safety standards. Since 2008 you can only transport children in the designated child seats. Otherwise, you pay a Verwarngeld of 30 euros.
The crucial accessories include extras that stand out in the child seat comparison on STERN.de, such as
- Headrest and neck support,
- Sunscreen for the window,
- Protection for the backseat,
- Cup holder and
Child seat purchase: Which size to choose?
Parallel to the current R44 regulation, the i-size child seats have been developed on the basis of the regulation in the summer of 2013. By this, we mean a new European i-Size regulation that should simplify the safety of children in the car. In the context of the current i-size standard, backward driving is mandatory for all children up to 15 months. Based on this regulation, the focus is no longer on the weight, but on the size of the children to find the right child seat.
Within this regulation, the ISOFIX system comes into play. This reduces the risk that the child seat could be incorrectly installed in the vehicle. Children can basically be transported up to a height of 105 cm backwards. Afterwards, the parents have the option to move the seat in the other direction. This requires an additional designation RF, which stands for “rear-facing”.
Advantages and disadvantages of child seats:
- For children up to 12 years available
- With extra side impact protection
- Adjustable headrest
- Ergonomic backrest
- Removable cover washable at 30 degrees Celsius
- ISOFIX bracket in the car
- 5-point harness for secure attachment
- Fitting child seats take up a lot of space
- High price for car seats
- Partly awkward in handling
Professionals advise: Which child seats are allowed?
In terms of traffic safety only tested child seats are allowed in traffic. They are designed to protect the youngest from serious injuries in the abdomen and neck as well as in the neck area. The best child seats absorb sudden energy effects and divert them via the material. Since the 1970s, the Federal Highway Research Institute has been documenting the safety rates and the use of child seats. Fortunately, safe transport in 2015 is 99%, which marks a particularly high value.
When purchasing, you should pay attention to the ECE test standards and to the sticker, which in turn provides the following information:
- European child seat test standard
- Approved use: vehicle-specific or universal
- body weight
- European identifier – 1 stands for “tested in Germany”
- Test number
- Manufacturer of the child seat
This badge can be used to provide specific, clear indications for use. The child seat should make a stable impression, can be instantly installed in the vehicle and bring enough space and comfort for your child. Especially the well-known brands and manufacturers were able to convince and deliver for many years performance-oriented car seats, which meet the high requirements in every detail.
What weighs a child seat on average?
In the child seat comparison on STERN.de, the growing car seats came to a considerably higher weight than the models, which belonged to a special norm group. The reason is a wide fuse and high durability. So the shell has to adapt again and again to the changing body size. That costs material. Most child seats oscillate between 5 and 7 kilograms. The car seats can be easily carried from one car to another and fastened. Only the booster seats and the baby seats are simpler and often cut better in handling.
How to adjust the child seat correctly +++
Before going on the first tours, you must first install the child seat correctly and adapt it to the size of your child. Be sure to take your time and do not risk the patience of your children. This is best done right after the purchase. First, try to install the seat in the car without a child, and then adjust it to the size of the small rider. The above models and child seats in direct comparison all provide a German-language installation instructions, which significantly simplifies commissioning. Depending on which components can be adjusted, you change
- the headrest,
- the backrest and
- the width as well
- the straps,
which you adjust to the proportions and not too tight.
How to clean the car seat
Be sure to pay attention to a removable cover when buying. The textiles of the best models can all be cleaned at about 30-40 ° C in the washing machine and can make so quickly forget about blobs on the go. In addition, it may be useful to order a change purchase or a replacement for the summer and winter right along with. So you always hold a cover in your hands when the other is in the wash. If the textiles are only slightly soiled, it may be sufficient to use a damp cloth or a cloth to remove the crumbs and rub off a stain. Even if no stains are visible, it is advisable to wash the child seat cover at regular intervals to ensure impeccable hygiene.
How to attach the child seat
- With Isofix: Most child seats in the comparison there is alternatively with Isofix function. This is a special option that prevents incorrect attachment in the vehicle. You really do not have to do anything else than let the respective attachment snap into the Isofix holder of your vehicle. Of course, you should pay attention when buying, if your vehicle even supports this option.
- Without Isofix: Actually, most vehicles have these devices. The older models are an exception. First, read the enclosed instructions carefully and check whether the belt buckle is firmly locked in place. It should reliably connect to the child seat. The mounting base forms the “base” of a child seat. We are dealing with an adapter through which every child seat in the car finds its place. This base is recommended for baby bowls as they can then take out the whole bowl without, for example, lifting the sleeping baby out of the seat.
What does the Stiftung Warentest say in the child car seat test?
The last car seat test dates back to 2019. As you can see here in detail, 31 new child seats were last checked in May of the year 2019. All in all, there are already proud 491 car seats that Stiftung Warentest has examined in recent years. Of these, 248 are currently available.
One of the biggest drawbacks of growing child seats is their large body that has been built for many years. So consumers often have to make compromises in handling. In addition, most trays are very bulky when it comes to installing them in the car. That may be one reason why many of the all-rounders are not getting such good grades. For the little ones, the baby bowls are much more handy and practical. They are also equipped with a handle and can be transported from the house to the car and back without your baby is aware of it.
In the child seat test, models have failed in recent years, among other things, as a result of the continuous load, individual brackets were released. A positive extra of the manufacturers is, for example, a free repair under warranty. For many parents, not least the service and the advice make a significant impact, which comes into play when buying. A lack of an Isofix option did not always have a major impact on the overall rating. The testers were primarily about
- the security,
- the stability,
- the abandonment of pollutants and
- the user comfort.
Is there a child seat test among the pros of Öko Test?
The current car seat test Öko Test goes back to the year 2018. The pros recommend a position of the children in the middle of the back seat. Here they are farthest from a possible point of impact. Unfortunately, most car models fail because they do not provide secure attachment at this point. For example, the ADAC advises installing the child seat behind the front passenger, since, according to statistics, the direct driver side on the opposite lane is more frequently involved in accidents. In addition, getting in and out is much safer at this point. Finally, it takes place on the side facing away from traffic.
Three seats got a good rating. They were able to convince in terms of safety and ergonomics, even if the testers often criticized the practicality. Especially in the first assembly, many models are probably a bit awkward. Here, the parents must definitely plan enough time.