See here the list of Top 10 best hedge trimmer. Read the buying guide and other important factors before making a selection for you or any of your dear ones.
- Powerful 40 volt lithium ion rechargeable battery delivers the power with long run time to complete the toughest jobs
- 24 inch dual action blade delivers less vibration than single action blades
- Shearing blade quickly cuts branches up to 3/4 inch thick. Uses - Ideal for trimming hedges, shrubs and bushes without extension...
- 24 in. dual-action, hardened steel reciprocating blades
- 3/4 in. cut capacity
- Compatible with all EGO POWER+ Arc Lithium Batteries
- 16 in. Dual action hardened Steel Black for reduced vibration while trimming
- 3.0 amp motor for trimming branches up to 5/8 in
- Cut branches up to 1 in. Thick with the addition of the sawblade
- 18 in. Dual-action hardened Steel Black for reduced vibration while trimming
- 3.5 amp motor for trimming branches up to 3/4 in
- Lightweight, compact design is easy to use with less fatigue
- Dual action blades cut branches with 40 percent less vibration
- Part of 20 volt MAX lithium ion battery system easily swap with other lawn and power tools
- Quickly cuts branches up to ¾ inch thick
- Powerful 20V Lithium Ion rechargeable battery delivers power and run-time for most trimming jobs
- This product is Manufactured in China
- This product meets customer Requirement
- 16 in. Dual action hardened Steel black for reduced vibration while trimming
- 3.0 amp motor for trimming branches up to 5/8 inches and cutting strokes/ minute is approximately 3800 strokes/ minute
- Lightweight, compact design is easy to use with less fatigue
- 22-inch dual-action blade reduces vibration for comfortable trimming
- Able to cut branches up to 3/4"-in thick for a variety of trimming tasks
- Full length trigger and soft grip for convenient operation
- 24-inch precision ground dual-action blade allows users to cut through overgrowth with 40% less vibration than single action...
- Hardened steel shearing blades cut branches up to 3/4 inch thick; Soft grip handle and lightweight design provides comfort during...
- Rear handle rotates 180 degrees for ideal hand position when trimming vertically or horizontally; Full bale handle for multiple...
- G-MAX 40V Li-Ion Battery System powers multiple tools for complete yard system--includes 2AH Battery and Charger
- 20-inch steel dual action blade for optimal performance and durability
- Shaft extension: 6.5 feet. 5/8-Inch cutting capacity for controlled, easy trimming of most bushes and hedges without the need of...
Whether a homeowner or resident of a small garden colony, a hedge is present in most gardens. It not only serves as a visual and wind protection, it is rather a kind of prestige object among neighbours. Who has the largest, most beautiful and densest hedge in the neighbourhood? In order for everything to grow evenly, a suitable cutting tool is required. That’s why we’ve created a top 10 of the best and most popular shrub and hedge trimmers. This includes products from Bosch, Metabo, Einhell and Makita for 50 to 300 euros.
Garden hedges are an important part of garden planning and design. They are to a certain extent a living garden fence, which serves gardeners as a visual and wind protection. In addition, hedges also provide undisturbed habitat for many species of birds and insects. For a hedge to look healthy and stay in shape, it must be trimmed regularly. A hedge trimmer performs well here. These are available in numerous designs, there is a distinction between manual, electric, cordless and gasoline hedge trimmers.
1. The different types
In general, the cutting surface of a motorized hedge trimmer is formed by two undulating “swords” which are moved against each other. They both have small knives whose distance corresponds approximately to the branches to be severed. One of the two cutting surfaces is fixed, the second sword located above moves and thus enables the actual cutting process.
1.1. Hand hedge trimmers: The manual hand hedge trimmers usually have about 25 to 40 cm long shear blades. Some models have additional telescopic handles, which can be pulled out, especially on thicker branches. Due to the greater leverage, less force is needed to cut the branch.
1.2. Electric hedge trimmers: In the electric hedge trimmer, an electric motor ensures the movement of the sword. Usually, the models have an output of 500 to 700 watts. With the electrically operated hedge trimmer, most buyers are probably best served. They are significantly cheaper than battery or gasoline models and work much faster than manual shears.
1.3. Cordless hedge trimmers: The only difference between battery-powered and electric hedge trimmers is that the device is powered by a rechargeable battery. In most cases, however, only high-quality cordless hedge trimmers with lithium-ion battery are really recommended. Unfortunately, a battery charge is usually only about 30 to 60 minutes, so a second battery is recommended.
1.4. Petrol Hedge Trimmers: Gasoline-powered hedge trimmers are of course different in the engine used. Mostly equipped with the 1 hp, the hedge trimmers are significantly more expensive, but also more powerful than the competition. In addition, the models weigh a lot, which is why the normal user usually relies on battery or electric models.
1.5. Telescopic hedge trimmers: In the meantime, many telescopic hedge trimmers are offered, which are equipped with electric or battery drive. The hedge trimmer is equipped with a telescopic rod that allows work up to three meters high and at different angles.
2. Important features
Before you buy, you should, in any case, inform yourself about the most important equipment features and above all weigh up what is necessary for the individual user. In addition to the question of which drive is suitable for you, these are mainly the following things:
2.1. Achievement: As so often applies here: the higher the performance, the higher the force. It has been shown that electric models under 400 watts of power have too little power for a decent hedge trimming. Although often only the recording power is engaged, this should meet the requirements. More important than the pure power specification are the following points.
2.2. Sword / Cut Length: The sword length indicates how long a cut is with the respective hedge trimmer. However, one must be aware that a larger sword length brings more difficult handling and weight with it. Therefore, a sword length of about 45 to 55 cm is recommended. Models with 65 cm cutting length should already be the upper limit.
2.3. Cutting thickness: This indicates how big the knife distance is and how thick the branches to be cut can be. Since most hedge branches are rather thin, a cut thickness of 18 mm is sufficient in most cases completely. Models with blade spacings of up to 28 mm also create stronger branches, which can then be used to produce powerful cutbacks.
2.4. Knife stop function: An electric hedge trimmer should, in any case, be equipped with a knife stop function, which prevents the blades from running after switching off. So accidentally, the power cord could be cut, which may even be life-threatening.
2.5. Safety Circuit: Equally important is the safety circuit. It consists of two switches that must be pressed simultaneously to turn on and hold the hedge trimmer in operation.
2.6. Overload protection: If the scissors jam when the branches are too thick, an electronic overload protection must not be missing to protect the motor. Where most models have something on board. Anti-vibration system: For larger surfaces, a model with anti-vibration system is recommended. A prolonged use of the hedge trimmer without interruption can namely lead to unpleasant circulatory disorders in the hands of the user.
2.7. Volume: The quietest is the classic mechanical hand hedge trimmer. Somewhat louder are devices with electric or battery-powered drive. The largest volume of gasoline hedge trimmers.
2.8. The right cleaning and maintenance: After cutting, especially the blades of the hedge trimmers should be thoroughly cleaned and treated with a suitable lubricant. Otherwise, the vegetable juice that has entered between the blade and the guide could clog and damage the device. Regrinding should always be carried out by a technically skilled person if possible. Sometimes the knives need to be replaced or reset. This should also be done in stores so that the device is safe in use and remains.
2.9. Storage: For storage, the plastic sheath of the hedge trimmer should be attached to the wall filled with chain oil and the scissors blade should be stored directly in oil.
This is how the hedge grows and thrives?
Ideally, the hedge should be pruned twice a year, in autumn and spring. The Central Association of Horticulture advises to cut the hedges by the end of August. If one were to cut the hedge only in the following period, then the following shoots would suffer under certain circumstances frost damage. The second cut should be done in February if possible. However, depending on the plant and the circumstances, the whole thing can change. Overcast days are ideal for hedge cutting. If you cut in sunshine and heat, there is a risk that the hedges will dry out, making the tips and needles brown and unsightly. Ideal is a trapezoidal cut to provide the lower shoots with sufficient light, giving the hedge a broad and opaque base.
Did you know it?
Since a hedge is a popular nesting and breeding place for birds, a radical hedge-cutting throughout Germany is prohibited in the period from March to the end of September. Only form and care cuts are allowed at this time and also desirable.
Which hedge trimmer should it be?
Our top 10 best and most popular hedge trimmers is clearly dominated by the manufacturer Bosch. The company has a total of seven models on our list of bestsellers, including four battery-powered and three electric hedge trimmers. Metabo, Einhell and Makita were only able to place one model at a time. If you are looking for a cordless hedge trimmer, you should look at the Bosch AHS 52 li, the larger Bosch AHS 54-20 li or the Metabo AHS36V. The AHS 52 li has by far the most reviews, the 54-20 li is the most powerful model from Bosch and the Metabo model won the test victory in a direct comparison test at Stiftung Warentest with a rating of 2.3 “good”.
For the model with around 300 euros by far the most expensive. Those who are more interested in an electric model should take a look at the Bosch AHS 50-26. The hedge trimmer offers a relatively large blade length with very good reviews and that too on very good terms. In addition, the model at the Stiftung Warentest was awarded as test winner. Who has to pay attention to the purse, can also see the Einhell RG-EH 6053, which can score especially because of the good price/performance ratio.